Sunday, June 16, 2013

My Top 10 Least Favorite Pop/Hip-hop Summer Songs 2013 (So Far)


This was something I had planned for the end of summer, but I figured why not make a list right now? I can always update and make another one or two within the next couple of months. This article was made for the single purpose of hating on bad music. You know, those songs that make you change to the next radio station the instant it comes on? Whether or not they admit, just about everyone that is reading this listens to Kiss FM or B96 at some point everyday. I think we can all appreciate some cheesy pop songs. I'll own up to liking some "bad music" and I think just about everyone has at least a few guilty pleasures when it comes to this genre.

So what am I talking about when I say my top 10 least favorite? I'm talking about songs that I have heard often, played on Kiss FM or B96 at some point since the beginning of May. It doesn't necessarily have to have come out recently. It could be a song that's been a popular summer song for the couple years, and stations bring it back in the summertime. Keep in mind that I don't know every pop song that is out right now. I'm sure there are some stinkers that have just come out and I have yet to discover them, and they will be annoying the heck out of me come July. There are also some bad songs that have been on the radio, but I have yet to hear this summer (example: Gangnam Style), so they will be left off this list. Also keep in mind that this is my first article about music, so I'm figuring out how to write and judge this as I go. So be patient. Lastly, I'm sure there are songs I have forgotten, but I want to get this article done, so I can go back later and add them to this prestigious list. And here we go.

10) "My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark"- Fall Out Boy
Fall Out Boy is back with more bad music. If Fall Out Boy got back together shouldn't they call themselves "Reunion Boy" or "Get Back Together Boy"? This selection might get some criticism as it has become somewhat of a theme song for the Chicago Blackhawks, and if it weren't for that, I would never ever listen to this song. It's like you can somewhat appreciate it even though it's so bad because of the Blackhawks. For that reason, this is only number ten on this list and I have a better tolerance for it than the others on this list.

9) "Scream and Shout"- Will.I.Am (Feat. Britney Spears)
This song is as generic as it gets. My buddy Ben Greene describes it perfectly by saying, "They really wanted to play it safe with this one." Yes, Ben, yes they did. It sounds like that the generic beat stuff you hear in the club in Grand Theft Auto IV and it's game add-on, The Ballad of Gay Tony. I swear I thought I had heard this song before, the first time I heard it on the radio. I tried to figure out where it was from, and found out it was brand new. No originality was put in to this song, and lyrically, it features a chorus with phrases like "scream and shout and let it all out" (I liked that better when Tears for Fears did it) and "aw yeah". I rest my case.

8) "Thrift Shop (Feat. Wanz)"- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
You didn't think I would did you? The beloved Thrift Shop? Well I did. I wish I could put this higher on the list, but I can't for the pure reason that there's too much bad music out there. For the past couple of years, some of my friends had been hyping Macklemore as being a rising star and a great rapper. Up until I heard, "Can't Hold Us", I was really unimpressed with Macklemore by what I had heard (and Ryan Lewis is what makes Can't Hold Us good in my opinion). This song in one word: irritating. I don't care if you all like it, this is my list and this song just sounds annoying. I will give it some props however for the concept of the song. I like the idea of a song about a thrift shop. Thrift shops are great and it's a fun idea. Could have been executed better, but I won't move this song any higher on this list.

7) Rihanna 

There isn't one song in particular to single out. Rihanna had a great year in 2011, when she was involved in many fun, popular pop songs (example: "We Found Love (Feat. Calvin Harris)"). But since then I have found many of her more recent songs annoying. I couldn't stand her song "Where Have You Been" from last summer. Terrible electronic music sounds in that song. Another thing is she has been putting out a lot of slower songs. Does that necessarily mean they are bad songs? No, but it's not something I feel like driving around too. Her recent song "Stay" is one that I automatically skip and go to another station. Her song with Drake last year was pretty much the same thing. "Diamonds" was an alright song. I'm sure Rihanna will release a couple more slow songs that will make it to the radio this summer. It doesn't mean it is her fault, it's more the fault of the people that are choosing the songs. But I simply couldn't leave Rihanna off the list.


6) Fun.
Just kidding, this isn't the Fun. logo or album artwork or anything. It's clearly from Spongebob, and I just wanted to have a little bit of "fun" as I write this entry. Again, there's no specific Fun. song I'm putting on this list. The radio stations seem to love Fun. and have been playing a huge selection of their music over the past year, continuing in to this summer. "We Are Young" wasn't too bad, but "Some Nights" is. Their album was nominated for many Grammy awards, and won "Best Album". The radio stations have been trying to make Fun. happen. And I'm annoyed by it. All their songs sound the same and I just can't dig them. I can't even name any of their other songs with the exception of lead singer Nate Rauss' song with P!nk "Just Give Me a Reason", which gets a pass from this list only because it includes P!nk. Fun. won't be putting out any songs I will enjoy this summer, and that's a fact.

5) "Party Rock Anthem"- LMFAO

How this song became a #1 hit, I have no idea. This song is the epitome of bad music. Is it a couple years old? Yes. But that doesn't stop stations from playing it continuously two years later. I am happy that I haven't had to hear any new LMFAO songs since "Sexy and I Know It" (another song that is painful to listen to). There are no redeeming qualities to this song. And basically, I don't know what else there is left to be said.




4) "Cruise Remix (Feat. Nelly)- Florida Georgia Line
Way to go, Nelly. You took one of the year's best songs, and turned in to one of the summer's worst songs. While this song may not sound quite as bad as say, "Party Rock Anthem" and some of the others below it, this song loses points for ruining a great song and turning it in to a joke. Who's idea was it to merge country and rap? It doesn't work here. And it only leaves you wanting them to play the original song by Florida Georgia Line instead.

3) "Trouble Maker"- Olly Murs

2) "Treasure"- Bruno Mars

1) "Locked Out of Heaven"- Bruno Mars

These three songs will not get a picture next to them, as a penalty for how bad they sound. I'm not even sure if I got the names right for these songs. I don't care. If you're a top 3 bad song, I'm not putting in any extra work to write up why you're the worst. Olly Murs and Bruno Mars are pretty much the same person to me. I don't even know what Olly Murs looks like, but I just picture him as a clone of Bruno Mars. Not only does his last name look just like Bruno's, his style is pretty much the exact same. These three songs are just so bad. Bruno Mars' attempt of trying to sound like The Police is a fail. While I will admit the guy is gifted with a nice voice, I just don't like his music. I'm sure he has other bad songs I'm leaving off the list, but I'm happy that I don't know them. These songs are just so bad. They make me want to rip the radio out of my car and throw it in to the road. By far the best thing Bruno Mars has done was be in a song with Eminem ("Lighters"), which I doubt will ever happen again. Other than "these songs suck", I don't know what is left to be said. Have a great day! And be sure to comment and let me know what your thoughts are. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment