Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Farewell CHA


Alright so the following article is something I started last Wednesday night, and finished tonight.

Tomorrow will mark the end of an era. My mom will drop off and pick up my sister from Christian Heritage Academy, for the last time ever. It is crazy to think that it has been a full five years since I graduated from the school. It's even crazier to think that my sister, who was in third grade during my last year at the school, will be graduating in less than a week and starting at New Trier in the fall, which will conclude 14 years of Vita kids walking the halls of the school. I will never again pick her up from the school. Something I enjoyed doing was visiting teachers I had when I attended the school, if I were to be early in picking up Laura. I will still visit. And I hope the teachers I had don't leave any time soon, as some of them are still a part of my life, and are great for a nice conversation whenever I come to visit. So as my sister graduates, leaving behind 14 years of our family attending the school, I figured I would write a tribute blog to a school that I attended for 9 years myself.

Where to start? Well I guess I should start with my experience at CHA. I had an odd relationship with the school when I was a student. Some years were really cool, and some were miserable. Sometimes it felt like I would alternate between good and bad years. My early years at CHA (kindergarten through 2nd grade) don't hold a lot of memories. I can't remember much about school from those times. I was just a little guy and had no idea what this was like in comparison to public school. As I got a little older, I started to understand things more. Perhaps my favorite time of the week was getting together for chapel on Friday's. I loved coming together with the rest of my school, which felt so big, to worship God and learn more about him. I always thought it was cool that we had time cut out in the day to study Bible stories and we had to memorize verses, some verses I had proudly already memorized in AWANA, which gave me a chance to flex my muscles. I always loved the Christ-centered aspect of the school.

But as I got older, I feel like I wasn't able to enjoy the school as much as I would have due to the social aspect. My grade had a lot of jerks in it. I felt like a bit of an outcast. But at the same time, that might have been a good thing for me. While I was being poured in to by amazing teachers (seriously, these teachers are some of the most incredible people I've ever met), I was then going out and making friends through playing sports, and trying to be the best example of Jesus I could be. Instead of just only hanging out with kids at school, I hung out with kids I played baseball and other sports with that I would be going to New Trier with. Some kids at CHA only hung out with other CHA kids, which made things harder for them starting high school. But for me, I couldn't wait to start at New Trier. It's a shame that all the great things about the Christian school felt like they were ruined for me at the time because of the social experience. But what I can say about CHA is that it prepared me well not only for high school, but for life.

Through my nine years at the school, I gained an incredible knowledge of the Bible, as well as the Christian life, something many people don't have. When I entered high school, I was able to defend my faith, and defend my view of creationism, particularly in biology class when we studied evolution. We had to write a little paper at the end of the biology unit answering whether or not the unit changed our beliefs, and I said no. I put a lot of work in to and explained why. As a result, I got a D on the paper. I knew a D wasn't the grade I deserved. But I was still proud of it. I still wouldn't change that I did that, even if it had a negative impact on my grade.

As I said, CHA prepared me so well for high school, and I will tell you that it was a great thing for me to be in a public high school. I entered a place where there was a lot going on. This wasn't a place I was familiar with. I could be swayed by the ways of the world and drink and party like most of the school, or I could really make this faith thing important to me. I chose to do the second thing. Throughout my time at CHA, I had been reliant on the school to help me grow in my faith. Well, once I finished there, I realized it was really on me to grow in my faith. I had been brought up in this Christian family, gone to a Christian school, but I hadn't really made my faith my own. And being at a public high school put it to the test, and that is where I feel I made it my own.

Over the course of high school, I took precautionary measures to keep myself out of trouble. For example, I never went to parties, as I didn't want to be tempted to drink. To this day, I still have never drank. But that doesn't make me any better than someone who does, as I still struggle with sin and we are all sinners. I won't say I was perfect in high school, as only Jesus is perfect. But I will say that I was growing. Not only was it on me to grow in my faith, but it was important for me to turn to the church. Pay attention in services, and learn at my church youth group. Not just go there to screw around, but to grow in my faith. When it came time for me to be put to the test, CHA had me in an excellent place.

I would also like to add that just because I'm saying it was great for me to go to a public high school, doesn't mean I'm saying it's the right thing for everyone. I've heard a lot of great things about the CHA upper school and for some people, that's the right place for them to be at.

When I graduated from CHA, I thought that I would never go back there. I had some problems there, again, mainly socially, and the social problems had a negative impact on my grades and how hard I was working. I would be lying if I said I wasn't hurt or at least disappointed that I didn't win any awards at our graduation banquet. It was embarrassing for me to be one of the very few that didn't get an award. I had been told that it was kind of like a nice thing for people who don't play sports and get little league trophies, something I have a whole shelf of, but that still didn't help. I wasn't a good student. It meant a lot to me when some people told me they thought I should have gotten a specific award, most notably the spiritual leadership award. But as time went on, I realized that award didn't matter. It only mattered what God thought of me.

But as I was saying, I didn't think I would ever come back after graduating, and now five years later, I love visiting the place, and I've gone in to speak to the guys of the eighth grade class the past three years. It's almost like I spend more time there now than I did as a student... just kidding. But I do love to visit and I'm incredibly grateful for the opportunity to talk to younger guys about high school, Jesus, and life. Doing that is something that brings me great joy. Looking back on the experience now, I am glad I spent nine years at CHA. As much as I couldn't wait to leave the school, I appreciate it just as much now. As I said before, I have stayed close with some of the teachers, and some are great for a conversation whenever I'm at the school.

And so here we are. It's been fourteen years, and for the first time, my mom and pop won't be having one of their kids at the school in the fall. My mom has been emotional over this, and I can't blame her. It's just crazy to think that this part of our lives will be in the past. We had a great conversation about it all the morning after the banquet. And to be honest, I never thought that I would be feeling emotion about this. I will never be picking up my sister from the school again. That doesn't change the fact that I plan to visit again. Because I will. CHA has meant so much to me over my life. If I ever plan to become a teacher, ideally I would love to work there. Heck, I would love to even be able to do an internship, paid or unpaid, in the near future. That would be awesome. I love CHA. If I am living in this area, I would want my kids to attend the school.

Congratulations to my sister. Laura will be walking the stage and receiving her diploma tomorrow. I am so incredibly happy for her and proud of her. I know that just like me, it hasn't been an easy road to get to this point. But she did it. I'm not sure how she feels about CHA right now, but I do know that one day she will appreciate it, if she doesn't appreciate it already. Congratulations to Laura, and the class of 2013! And thank you to CHA for being a part of my life, and being a part of molding me in to the man of faith that I am today. My family's time at CHA is something I will hold dearly to my heart, and it was a time in my life that I will always be proud of. Thank you CHA, and congratulations to the class of 2013.

I would like to end this blog with a song that was played in the graduation video when I graduated in 2008. It's called "The Blessing" by John Waller (featuring Mark Hall from Casting Crowns). The song has meant a lot to me since. It always brings me back to my times at CHA. CHA has prepared me to be a blessing to other people in the world, as Christians should be. It is just the perfect song for a graduation video. Props to whoever put that together. I figured this would be the perfect way to end it. I have no idea who  will read this, but all I have to say now is, farewell CHA.


No comments:

Post a Comment