Tuesday, November 17, 2015

What Transferring Colleges Has Taught Me About God



If you're new to this blog or you don't know me, college has been a strange experience for me.

I'm sure that college is weird is for everyone in some way, but my path to a degree, and Lord-willing employment, has been rather unorthodox.

After graduating high school, I knew I was not ready for college. I wasn't mentally or emotionally tough enough for it. I had no idea what I wanted to do. So I took the year off, and through starting this blog, I discovered my passion for writing.

The following summer, I knew it was time to move on and to start college. I just had no idea where I wanted to go, or what I wanted in a college. At the last I applied to Carthage College and was accepted, so I enrolled. I spent two years at Carthage and realized there just wasn't enough the school could offer me as an aspiring journalist. Somehow, God led me to Valparaiso University, but that's another story.

In a recent blog I wrote, I talked about how the friendships I formed at Carthage have been essential to shaping who I am today. Last semester was a really important time because of the people I grew close to. I was shown how mighty the Body of Christ is, and how important it is.

This semester has been about as opposite from that as humanly possible. After spending two years building deep friendships with people, I was thrust in to the unknown, with people unknown.

At Carthage, I would spend more time socializing than studying. My grades took a hit as a result. On average I was spending about five or six hours outside of class with people. At Valpo, that hasn't been the case.

For the most part, guys on my floor keep their doors closed. While I have met some cool people on my sports staff, I am not in a social bubble I once was in. It isn't like I am constantly around them. Making friends takes time. And it's a slower process as a transfer student.

When you're a freshman, everyone is in the same boat. Everyone is looking to make friends. But when you're the new kid when you're 21, it's a little different. The people your age have found their groove or their niche, and the freshmen are significantly younger than you are. It's difficult to connect.

There have been people I have grabbed a meal with, or hung out with once, and since then have shown very little interest in doing anything with me again. That's kind of a discouraging feeling.

What comes as a result? Many weekends in the library studying and nights watching Netflix by myself. The funny thing is, at first that felt like torture to me. Now, I enjoy it.

The people that know me will tell you that I am outrageously extroverted. But I realized I have struggled with feeling lonely; loneliness. I felt like I always had to be around people, especially being away at school and not being in the comfort of my hometown. So I was hyper-social, hanging out with people whenever I could.

Being on my own has made me rely on God in so many new ways. If I feel lonely, instead of running to be around people to try to escape, I am forced to confront my feelings on my own. But I don't have to do it on my own. Because I serve the most awesome and amazing God.

My devotional life has grown. I spend more time with God now. I've realized that you are never alone in Christ. He is always with you. Schools may change, but he's always the same.

On top of all of that, I have been able to put a lot of time in to my studies and I am seeing the results: the best grades I have ever gotten in college.

And if I ever am in need of assistance, I have some of the greatest friends in the world. They are only a text, a call or a FaceTime away. In the economy of friendships, I am a blessed and wealthy man.

The friendships are starting to come. Last week I got meals with some great guys and even had one on my radio show.

But no matter how many friends I make, this semester has reminded me of how great God is and how much of a friend he is to us. He loved us so much that he died for us.

Overall, this has been a really good semester. I love where I am. I love my classes and I love writing for the school paper here. I love hosting a radio show. I'm happy where I am and am learning a lot about journalism and Jesus. It's been fantastic and I can't wait to see where God takes me next.

"Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."
-John 15:13


No comments:

Post a Comment