Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Poetry: When a Friend Passes

I scribbled out this poem in the early evening Saturday as I looked out at beautiful Lake Michigan at the beach in Wilmette. I did not take this picture, however.


Yesterday I shared my 5 thoughts for when a friend passes. This is going to be a short blog, and it is kind of a sequel to yesterday's. I really appreciate all the input I have gotten from people, and the people that have been reaching out and extending love to me. I would like to share a poem I wrote for Paul, called "A Time to Mourn."

A Time to Mourn

A time to mourn, a time to cry
At the age of 20, you never think that one of your friends might die.
Everything can change in a blink of an eye.
You never think death can take such a good guy.
I guess life starts now
And since his death, I've lost track of the amount of times I've heard the word "wow"
Yep, Paul's death put us in a state of shock.
Feeling depressed, I had to go for a walk.
It still doesn't even feel real.
Feels like yesterday we were in Stamos' basement watching Key and Peele.
Yeah, we had some good memories, Paul
Like the time you blocked me the entire football field, or when you got excited and chucked your Xbox controller against the wall.
When it came to football, you were always a beast
It's a shame that your family had to move out east
The truth is, this past year we've really missed you
And I can't imagine what you had to go through.
But you always had a knack for making us laugh and smile.
Recognizing that you're no longer with us will take a while.

Truth is, we'll always miss you and wish for one last visit.
But we'll always remember your kind and tender spirit.
Paul, you truly were a great friend
It's hard to believe that this is the end.
You were an incredible artist, I just went back and looked at all the pictures you drew.
Thanks for all the fun, the laughs, and the good times; we'll never forget you.

No comments:

Post a Comment