Sunday, July 6, 2014

Poetry: Changes



Something I like to do as a blogger and an aspiring journalist is to push myself to try new things. Try to step my game up. Kind of like how Kobe Bryant, a perimeter, spent the summer after the Lakers won a title in 2009 working on his low-post game with a Hall of Famer and a top 5 big man of all-time in Hakeem Olajuwon. I tried my best to try to make that last sentence make sense to people that don't follow sports, but I probably still failed. Oh well. Anyway, I want to add more weaponry to my arsenal. I want to try new things, acquire new skills, and test myself for my own good. Who knows what might come out of it? Anyway, I recently have taken an interest in writing poetry. Poetry is a great way to take the thoughts you can't get out of your head, put them in to paper, and hopefully make them sound beautiful.

Something that I always struggle with is change. I never want things to change, and I always miss the way my life used to be, instead of being grateful for the life I currently have. A couple nights ago I wrote a poem called "Changes". I have no idea how good it is or how I did. Maybe it sucked. But I would love to get some feedback on this poem, as well as the blog. Would you like to see more poetry on here? What do you guys want to see? Here it goes:

Changes

Why can't I ever take my mind off the past?
The greatest times of my life will never last.
Sometimes it feels like I've hit my peak
And that I will never go on another winning streak.
As much as I might win, I have also lost
Because growing and having new experiences comes with a cost.
Moving out of the old and into the new
Oftentimes has me feeling very blue.
Sometimes I wish I could have it all back
My friends, my high school, my hometown, and nothing to pack.

But that's not my ultimate goal
Instead it's for God to purify my soul.
See this world is just a temporary place.
Life's going to change, it's a part of the race.
But while life will come with its alterations
One thing that will never need a modification is my salvation.
God has called me "MINE"
Long before he turned water to wine.
He's told me that he has a plan
A plan far too great for myself, a fallen man.

While it may be hard to say goodbyes and to let go
God's got better things for me, better than what I know.
So when I start getting sentimental
I need to remember that this skin and bones is only a rental.
When it's all said and done,
My Heavenly father will call me his son.
Life will come with it's changes and scares
But there's comfort in knowing God will never change, he loves you and he still cares.

No comments:

Post a Comment