Saturday, December 27, 2014

The Joy of Christmas


As I have been gift-shopping, wrapping presents, and just driving around and soaking in the Christmas season, a song has captured my attention. The song is called "Merry Christmas, Here's to Many More," performed by Relient K, from their Let It Snow Baby... Let it Reindeer album.


What hooked me in to this song is the song's concept. Singer/songwriter Matt Thiessen wrote this about a year that was a very rough year for him. The idea of the song is how life can be very hard, but Christmas brings joy to our lives, despite our circumstances.

The year of 2013 was a rough year for me. And the more I reflect and look back, I realize how important Christmastime was to me last year. And it is a very important time for a lot of people.

As a kid, I remember how excited I got over buying and wrapping presents, drinking hot chocolate, picking out a Christmas tree, decorating our Christmas tree, putting up lights, opening presents, singing Christmas carols, and watching Christmas movies. I remember how I could not wait for Christmas Day, and how I would count down the days. Now that I'm 20, I can't say that I have the same level of excitement. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Christmas, and I find myself very jolly during the holiday season doing all of these same pastimes, but it doesn't quite hype me up as much as it used to.

I think that a lot of people my age have this same feeling. It's just a part of growing up. But while Christmas may no longer feel the way it did as a kid, at least not to the same extent, Christmas means more to me now more than ever before in my life.

Why is that? Perhaps a part of it is that I don't live at home anymore. I live in Wisconsin now for 9 months of the year. Part of the excitement now is the "I'll Be Home For Christmas" excitement. As bad as things were for me in that semester, and in that year, I had coming home to look forward to.

The holiday season is a wonderful time for us to escape the chaos in our lives for a couple of weeks, eat some good food, and focus on the great things that we have in our lives. Like friends and family. I felt very lonely at school in my first semester last year, and being home completely eliminated that feeling from my life. I had friends waiting for me with open arms. I had Christmas to celebrate with my family. Going back to that Relient K song, I think they put it best with the lyrics:

So look at me now
It's finally Christmas and I'm home
Head indoors to get out of this weather
And I don't know how but the closest friends I've ever known are all inside
Singing together
Singing, "Merry Christmas, here's to many more!"

The love we receive from our friends and family is truly a blessing. However, as unbelievable as it may sound, there is a love that is even stronger than theirs: God's love. Throughout the year, at times I find myself asking the question, does God really love me?

Well I don't know about you, but during the days we celebrate Christmas and Easter, I could never feel more loved by God. John 3:16 reads, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life." God sent his son to die. He paid the price for us, so that we wouldn't have to. He loves us that much. 

The Christmas story is ultimately a love story. A story about a father named God, that gives the greatest gift of all to his children. A story about a friend by the name of Jesus, who gave up his life Mufasa-style in the Lion King, so that his friends could have life, and have it to the full. 

The birth of Christ gives us hope. It reminds us that in the mist of all of the tragedies and catastrophes in our lives, that there is hope. It reminds us when we feel lonely that we are never alone. And Jesus is the one that gives us that hope.

And even if you don't believe in the birth of Christ, you have all of your friends and family to celebrate the holidays with. You are home, and you owe it to yourself to take a breather. 

I can say with full confidence that the time I had off last year was essential to my success in J-term and in my spring semester. It really rejuvenated me, and celebrating the birth of our Savior reminded me of the hope I have in Christ.

So enjoy the holidays! Drink your hot chocolate and snuggle up next to the fire! And as you get a nice break from the hardships you have been facing, I pray that this time of year allows you to replenish and that it gives you hope. When it's all over, keep going. God has a plan for you, and he wants to take care of you. I hope you all have a wonderful holiday season and a very happy New Year!


No comments:

Post a Comment