Thursday, March 6, 2014

Lent, and Vertical Faith

Open Bible did some research around Twitter to see what most people are giving up for Lent. Here are the top items.


Well, today was Ash Wednesday, and the beginning of Lent. Lent is observed by the Catholic and Orthodox churches, and some Protestant churches as well. Churches and denominations do it differently, but the main constant theme is giving up something.

Now, I've been brought up in the non-denominational church all my life. Some don't understand what a "non-deonom" is. Well, basically I believe that the Bible is God's word. I believe everything it says, in its correct context. I believe that Jesus died on the cross to pay for our sins. If we choose to follow him, and if we give him control of our lives, and repent of our sins and confess that he is Lord, and that there is no way for us to get to Heaven--that we need him--he will give us the gift of salvation. Salvation is a free gift. It's free, but it is not cheap. Just because it costs us nothing doesn't mean it didn't cost our savior something. But I don't follow Jesus for that gift. If I did, I would be worshiping the things he gives me, and not Him. I follow Jesus because I get so much joy out of serving Him, and following Him, than I do when I try to serve myself. I've talked about this in past blogs, so if you want to hear more on this topic, search around this site and you'll find it!

But oh yeah, going back to non-denominational churches. Basically, I love Jesus, I'm a Christian, and I don't want to put a label on my faith. I don't want to belong to one set denomination. Because there isn't just one way to worship Jesus. There isn't just one way to do church. I like checking out churches that do have denominations, and when I do, I am fascinated to see how it's different. It's different, but it is still Christ-centered. Not every church is Christ-centered. There are a lot of bad churches out there, and a lot that preach the prosperity gospel. Don't get me started on that one. But oh yeah, I love the Lord, and there's not much more to it than that.

The reason I bring this up is because I have never been a part of a church that has really observed Lent. So I have never participated in Lent. This may surprise a lot of people, because to some, I am "that Christian kid", but yeah, I haven't.

While I haven't participated in Lent, I have fasted. The two are one in the same. I've always loved the concept of Lent. The reason there is Lent is to take something out of your life that you feel is a big part of your life, or maybe a distraction, and replacing that with Jesus. Instead of filling yourself up with that thing, fill yourself up with Jesus. This is most effective when we take away something that we feel is essential or a necessity.

Sadly, not everybody that participates in Lent, is looking at it with this perspective. They complete the first half of it, by cutting something out of their life. Maybe they do it so they can observe Lent and be a part of it, or maybe they do it because it is an unhealthy habit and this is like their New Years resolution part two.

Now I don't want to come down and condemn those people or anything like that. Because it is a good thing that they are participating, and it isn't easy to go without something you love or need for a month and a half. Everything I say in this blog is out of love, and it is all intended to just get people thinking.

The thing that is most on my mind is the idea of having a C+ Christianity. For the first 16 years of my life, that was my life. I wanted to have the right mix of religion and Christianity in my life. I wanted to be good enough. I figured if I was nice, and if I didn't drink, smoke, swear, and if I stayed abstinent, that that would make me good enough. That if I was good like that, I would be rewarded, and I could go to Heaven. I wanted to do enough to get by, and just make it a part of my life. I wanted to be good, but I didn't want to give up control. I still wanted to do things my way.

And I think most people have this same mindset. When some parents are raising their kids, they want to have "enough" church, or "enough" Jesus in their kids' lives. Maybe it's because they feel they need to. Maybe it's because they want to be a part of that kind of community. I don't know.

But what I've been realizing over the past few years is that, you can never get "enough" Jesus. Nor should we ever want to have "enough". The truth is, once you encounter that unspeakable joy that comes from our Heavenly Father, you're addicted. You want more and more of it. It quenches your thirst better than anything of this world ever can. You want more of that joy. And Jesus is no longer a part of my life. Jesus is my life.

Our faith should really be an all or nothing thing. This whole idea of Vertical Faith is something I have been obsessed with for quite some time.

We should never want to just stand still when it comes to our faith. We should never be satisfied with where we are at, until the day we are with Christ in Heaven. Every single one of us has room to grow. It's not about us growing, but more about Jesus growing us. Only he can change us. Here is a video for a series my church went through a few years ago called "Lord, Change Me". Please check it out:



Here is one more short video I want you to watch from our church:






The thing I keep going back to is that we should never be content with where our faith is at. We should always want to keep pushing and to keep growing. This past summer I decided to make fitness a bigger part of my life. From the beginning of July till the end of the summer (September), I was in the gym every day. While I started making lifting a bigger commitment, I was pushing myself. And while I was pushing myself in one thing, it helped me push myself in other areas of my life, including my faith. Here's a line from a Bryan Loritts' sermon that I really liked that related to lifting: "If you want to get big, you gotta pick up something heavy." It's time for us to get big, my friends.

What I've learned is to always keep pursuing Jesus. No matter what the day is like. Good day or bad day, Jesus is always good, and he's always better than everything else out there. Keep turning to Him in your times of need, or when things are going great for you. Keep praying and reading your Bible, and listening to worship music, and striving to worship Him in all the things that you do. Because He is so much greater than anything that is of this world, and I know that His plan for my life is dang better than any plan I have for myself. So really I want to challenge you to pursue Jesus this Lent. I'm praying that God reveals himself to you in this time, and that he uses this as a time for us all to grow closer to Him.

Lastly, I want to say that I will be participating in Lent this year. I'm focusing on the personal ongoing sin in my life, such as stubbornness and laziness, and trying to cut those things out of my life. Hebrews 12:1-3 says, "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." I'm hoping and praying this is a time that I grow closer to Jesus, and I hope you do too. 

Thank you for reading my blog. Would love to hear your thoughts! Are you participating in Lent? What are you giving up?

No comments:

Post a Comment